SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cal 21 Owners
Thread: Cal 21 Owners
View Single Post
post #117 of Old 02-05-2019
Seana

Re: Cal 21 Owners

go back to page 11 Paul the pictures are there. before and after ( well as it stands currently) . Still to do, drop the keel, work the repair from outside the hull.

I'll explain what you are seeing in the first pictures. The repair area around the securing bolts was ground down almost to the gelcoat, then alternating pieced of chopped matt and woven fiberglass were laid up over the thin remaining fiberglass. It took me all day from breakfast through to 8 at night to let each of the layers kick off before laying the next. I'll need to drill out for the new securing pin for the keel. The Keel bolt looks in good condition and maay have only been in the water briefly if at all, Stiff plastic was used inside the keel housing in order to provide structure to mould around and removed afterwards. It was an ambitious first project at fiberglassing

I should also mention the keel winch timber is teak, and almost rotted through. It will need replacing and I'm considering installing an electric keel winch. Most of the rest of the rigging replacements have been purchased but not installed for the most part. I need to finish the fiberglass work so I can paint the deck before any of the new shiney bits can be installed.

Last edited by Seana; 02-05-2019 at 04:26 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome