SailNet Community - View Single Post - Barrier Coat vs. Bottom Paint Application
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 02-12-2019 Thread Starter
Jeff356

Barrier Coat vs. Bottom Paint Application

Having our boat for the past 4 years I inherited a flaking bottom that I have managed with just reapplying bottom paint every spring before launch.

I do the normal scraping and sanding, trying to feather in and then paint a couple of coats and then ask the yard to move the stands after a couple of days and hit those spots and leave the bottom of the keel for the yard to paint on launch day.

This year might(should) be the year when I go all the way to the gel coat and apply a barrier coat and then bottom paint but just wondering about the bottom of the keel where the boat is supported when on the hard. Moving the stands and getting to those areas does not pose an issue but when applying barrier coat do you have the boat re positioned so you can barrier coat the entire keel including the bottom of it prior to painting that occurs just on launch day?

Just want to make sure the bottom of the keel is protected just as well if I am going to the effort and expense.

What was your experience...

Jeff

s/v LegaSea
Hunter 2003 356
Middle River, MD

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome