SailNet Community - View Single Post - Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea
View Single Post
post #161 of Old 02-20-2019 Thread Starter
Captain Canuck

Re: Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea

Boatsurgeon, I can't answer to all of your statements, so I'll just hit the ones that I can.

1-4) Arc distance for 48V is .6mm. While that's bigger than 12V's .1mm, I can't see any situation where bus bars or terminals could be placed that close together, even if you wanted to. If your concern is dropping a tool into the battery box, I have you covered - I'm putting terminal caps on all of my battery connections so they'll all be insulated.

5) Definitely. When the time comes to actually connect the terminals in my battery box, I will be wearing rubber gloves. While I've been poked occasionally with 120VAC, I don't enjoy the feeling.

6) More likely I would bump my head on the bulkhead of the boat, but point taken.

7) Maybe? Thing is with things like inverters, you get what you pay for. A quick look shows that 48V inverters are marginally (+5%ish) more expensive than 12V inverters of the same power rating.

12) Yes, it does give you a single point of failure. However, for the cost of a 12V battery, charger, and separate wiring, I can buy a dozen 48V to 12V converters, all with an IP67 rating, eliminating the need for a house battery set. Even with a dozen spares in the hold I'm still way ahead in the weight of a single medium sized lead acid batter and all the accoutrements that go with it. This is one of the few times on a boat where it's easier, cheaper and lighter all at once.

14) It's more than justified - it's essential. At 1V = 50 RPM, a 12V motor would get you 600RPM. That might work for a dinghy, but it sure won't push a sailboat at better than a crawl, no matter how many amps you throw at it.

17) Yep, that's me. But as the old 60's Easter special song goes...

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome