SailNet Community - View Single Post - Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea
View Single Post
post #167 of Old 02-22-2019
mbianka

Re: Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsurgeon View Post
To each their own.

How do you charge batteries connected in series separately?

For any vessel with an electric propulsion system, I recommend separate isolated systems for propulsion and 12 Vdc for safety equipment, with their own charging sources, double, triple, or quadruple redundancy for the safety.

As mentioned, a bad side effect of that set-up is if you have a propulsion system electrical failure, or a DC-DC converter failure, ya got nuthin' for safety equipment and lighting, till you can tear it apart and re-wire.

Not pleasant if getting beat-up, which is when stuff like this normally happens.

(One shouldn't have a low voltage problem if the electrical system design is properly balanced and maintained.)
I agree. When I converted to EP I kept my house 12 volt bank and kept it separate from my Electric Propulsion bank. I saw no reason to get rid of the working 12 volt house bank and just down convert from 48 volts. I'm a if it ain't broke don't fix it kind of guy. I also don't like to have all the eggs in one basket. I'm glad I did it this way. Last summer I had issue with a breaker in the EP system. I had to disconnect the 48 volt bank for a few days while I figured it out. Never had to worry about the house bank since it was separate and kept working as usual including refrigeration.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome