SailNet Community - View Single Post - Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea
View Single Post
post #171 of Old 02-23-2019
mbianka

Re: Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
I'm glad someone else had this thought too.

nigel Calder is working on his boat and is doing something similar.

He wants to get to a single fuel boat, diesel with electric.

It is not cheap however but he is working out all the math to at least make the running no more expensive.

Apparently, you can get insanely efficient genset numbers along with very long lifetimes.

He is working on tech so that whenever the genset is running it is running with optimal efficiency. Any extra energy is automatically stored.

An ICE propulsion motor is often not running efficiently but converting from gen-set to electric propulsion has conversion costs but he thinks he can do the tech so the hybrid design is ultimately more efficient.

He actually passed that idea off to someone else and is working on a controller and power generator alternator replacement that will add load to the engine whenever it is not running at WOT until the engine is at optimal efficiency and store the energy in lithium batteries and eliminate the need for a genset.
I guess Calder is working on this hybrid efficiency plan for larger boats. IMO it is already working on my 30 foot sailboat. One of the reasons I went with EP is I was tired of squeezing down below to work on the diesel engine. I would not want another diesel below decks to maintain. I just need a 47 lb Honda 2000 generator for charging on the mooring as part of my charging system that includes wind and solar. The Honda generator already matches it's speed to the load in eco mode so it operates very efficiently. I also use it to power my boat in a hybrid mode (electro-sailing) if the wind does not corporate for an extended period of time. I can move my boat along a 3 knots using just 900 watts of power (battery charger limitation.) I'm currently looking to increase the power to match the max output of the Honda generator and get even more speed from the setup. Though the current setup has worked well for me for ten years.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome