SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake
View Single Post
post #55 of Old 02-25-2019
Jeff_H
Administrator

Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Sunday turned out to be a glorious day for a sail, a bit windy with some pretty wild gusts at times but beautiful. When I first was clearing the creek, it was still cloudy, damp, and cold. As I turned into the wind to raise sails, I was confronted with square whitecaps, and some gusts that heeled the boat before the sails were even raised. I thought what's wrong with me going out in this crap. Any sensible senior citizen would be home on the sofa petting the cats.

But once I got sails up and things tidied up, and the boat settled down, it was a real romp of a sail. Even nicer, once the clouds cleared and sun came out it warmed up pretty quickly. I made a very fast trip out towards Thomas Point, made a quick pass through Annapolis Harbor and buzzed the tourists strolling at the end of the city dock, and made a quick trip home, dropping sails at the end of my pier and wasting not a moment of sailing time. Of course, I was back in the slip with the sails down and folded before the serious winds kicked in.

The only casualty was my backstay adjuster pennant. I had been planning to replace it since it had started to fray where it was in the cleat when the backstay was really honked down on. The cover gave up the ghost when I pulled in a lot of mast bend during a particularly gusty portion of the sail. When I got back to the dock, I replaced it with a piece of salvaged Kevlar cored main halyard that I had kept around for the past half dozen years for just that purpose.

It was one heck of a windy night. At one point, this morning Thomas Point was showing an ambient wind of 38 knots with gusts to 42. I think that I was sensibly petting the cats at that point in time.

Speaking of senior citizens, has anyone heard from Gary in a while?

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome