View Single Post
post #20 of Old 02-26-2019
jephotog

Re: ambient wind vs true wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCoSailor View Post
What he said!

Thanks Jeff!

At least I was in the ballpark with "Maybe ambient wind is what you have standing on a rock and true wind is on a boat that current could be moving". Okay not nearly as eloquent, accurate, or complete as Jeff answer.

Also, relieved to know I had not forgotten a very necessary part of set and drift.
Ignore current for this concept when you think of apparent wind factor in the boat's speed over ground which factors in current a little bit but mostly speed through the water.

The apparent wind is the angle and wind speed the boat feels. What the wind indicator at the top of the mast shows would be your apparent wind angle. Which would factor in the true wind and the boats speed and course over ground. I thought the AC72s would be a good example of the difference between these because the boat speed could actually exceed wind speed so the angle difference between true and apparent is fairly significant.

Americas Cup AC72 true versus apparent wind | Sailing Blog by NauticEd

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome