SailNet Community - View Single Post - Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea
View Single Post
post #174 of Old 02-27-2019
Maine Sail
Super Moderator

Re: Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck View Post
So ABYC has no idea how to deal with lithium batteries, so they're letting manufacturers make those decisions for them. What could possibly go wrong? Maybe I should write and submit a white paper for ABYC once I'm done, giving specific recommendations.
The ABYC Li-Ion (High Capacity Battery Standard) has been in the works since 2013. These standards, contrary to popular misconception, do not just appear out of thin air or get written by manufacturers. Many thousands of hours will be spent on it by the time it comes out as a TE then eventually a full blown standard.

Right now you are at the will of your insurer and some of them are currently disallowing Li-Ion batteries. Rich, the owner of Cruise RO Water & Technautics Cool Blue Refrigeration, was told by his insurer he had to remove his LFP bank. He switched insurers, no easy feat on an old boat with LFP batteries.. It would be best to check with your insurer before you make the move to LiFePO4.

Until the standard is out the best bet is to use a factory made system such as the Lithionics OPE-Li3, Mastervolt or a Victron system. Trojan just also entered the market place but even just today I was getting mixed information on a phone conversation with them about the Trillium CANBUS capabilities.

Suffice it to say the ABYC Li-Ion standard is quite complex and every worldwide standard has been painstakingly examined and no stone regarding safety has been left unturned. Also keep in mind that those who work on these standards are doing so voluntarily and without pay to hopefully make boating safer.

As a boat owner you can join the ABYC and get access to all the standards for less than I can. Now how is that fair...

ABYC Recreational Membership

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome