SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruising from US to Bahamas and south Boat Documents needed?
View Single Post
post #22 of Old 03-03-2019
capta
Master Mariner

Re: Cruising from US to Bahamas and south Boat Documents needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
In our case, we ARE the owners of the boat. Backed up with a notarized CG bill of sale, and a notarized letter from the previous owners describing the situation (and insurance certificates in our name, if they needed more). The documentation was current for the boat. Putting our names on the forms as owners was truthful and legal. Doing otherwise would have been illegal.

It isn't really possible/practical to get new CG documentation in the Caribe during a US government shutdown. Even during normal operations, it often isn't possible to Fedex the required documents to the CG and get the new documentation back before one's cruising permit expires and they need to leave the country with the boat. This was our case - the boat's cruising permit was expiring in a week, and it had already used up its extensions.

Mark
Have you considered writing up a document stating all the info you have imparted here and going to a consulate or Embassy and getting some kind of official stamp on it?
Last I checked the greedy bastar*s wanted $50.00US for a notary stamp, but it might be worth it. I'd do it for free, but my notary has expired.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome