SailNet Community - View Single Post - Caribbean, What works and doesn't
View Single Post
post #21 of Old 03-04-2019
Minnewaska

Re: Caribbean, What works and doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Minni, I saw this when I lived down in the Caribe. It was mostly done by big sailing yachts with very large tenders and heavy OBs... I think they were crewed charter boats. That size yachts don't have davits. They may have a stern dinghy garage. It's not a bad idea to get the dink out of the water if you are going to not be using it for some time... But most people at anchor are using their dink from early AM to late in the evening after a night at a local watering hole.
Interesting thought about larger vessels. I suppose, if your topsides are close to the water, a rolley anchorage could knock the dink around. I've not measured, but will guesstimate that our topsides are 4-5 ft a mid-ship. Not sure if high enough. Generally would be.

I'm thinking of the practice as to whether it's easier than the davits to haul up overnight and launch in the morning. When I haul on the davits, it's a bit of a pain to clear our sugar scoop transom. Then, you can't just haul it clear of the water, I need to haul it to the top and attach the securing straps or it will swing back and forth mercilessly.

However, ever since I ditched the center console dinghy, in favor of an aluminum hull and tiller (much lighter and more interior room) I can easily do it myself. It's just time consuming. The mast halyard and bridle method would require two people, plus some method to keep from marring the topsides. One person on the winch and one on the side deck. I do pull it up this way, when storing the dink on the foredeck. However, it has no motor in those cases and I just pull it up by the bow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome