SailNet Community - View Single Post - Caribbean, What works and doesn't
View Single Post
post #22 of Old 03-04-2019
SanderO

Re: Caribbean, What works and doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Interesting thought about larger vessels. I suppose, if your topsides are close to the water, a rolley anchorage could knock the dink around. I've not measured, but will guesstimate that our topsides are 4-5 ft a mid-ship. Not sure if high enough. Generally would be.

I'm thinking of the practice as to whether it's easier than the davits to haul up overnight and launch in the morning. When I haul on the davits, it's a bit of a pain to clear our sugar scoop transom. Then, you can't just haul it clear of the water, I need to haul it to the top and attach the securing straps or it will swing back and forth mercilessly.

However, ever since I ditched the center console dinghy, in favor of an aluminum hull and tiller (much lighter and more interior room) I can easily do it myself. It's just time consuming. The mast halyard and bridle method would require two people, plus some method to keep from marring the topsides. One person on the winch and one on the side deck. I do pull it up this way, when storing the dink on the foredeck. However, it has no motor in those cases and I just pull it up by the bow.
For typical sized cruising yachts hoisting the RIB... it has to have attachment points for the hoisting bridle is not all that difficult. The halyward can be stored low enough to reach from the dink... the bridle stowed in the dink. You bring the dink to the stern where the halyard is waiting...shackle it to the bridle and climb our of the dink taking the dink pennant with you to the deck. The pull the dink to the beam... and use a mast winch hopefully with a Milwaukee and winch bit and up it goes to however high you want it. Tie off the pennant. You should have a stainless steel chain also shacked to the dink's transom.... Lock the chain to the tow rail or stanchion base. Chain and pennant secure the dink fore and aft and your done.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome