SailNet Community - View Single Post - Caribbean, What works and doesn't
View Single Post
post #34 of Old 03-04-2019
capta
Master Mariner

Re: Caribbean, What works and doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Stainless steel chain, separate lock on engine (that’s what they want) and raise it. Keep the dinghy. No T/T on dinghy decreases risk of break in to main vessel. We even removed our ols state numbers as well.
If someone wants your dink and it isn't on davits or aboard, then they will take it in just a few seconds with a set of bolt cutters, SS chain or not! I've found a better option is rigging wire (1X19), which is much harder to cut quickly (if at all) with bolt cutters. It is bulky and a pain, but it will do the job.
But most of the dinghy theft down here is for the motor, not the dinghy. Quite often the dink is found motorless rather quickly. If the whole thing goes missing, I'd be checking the outbound sailing boats, not the locals, and that's where having some prominent form of ID on the dink will be theft prevention.
However, I'm fairly convinced that a goodly number of the dinghies reported stolen were poorly tied to the boat and not stolen at all, especially among those who close the pub night after night.
I think, as painful as it might be to believe, there is a lot more boater on boater theft than local on boater than most suspect.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 03-04-2019 at 01:20 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome