SailNet Community - View Single Post - Masthead tricolors
View Single Post
post #32 of Old 03-08-2019
Minnewaska

Re: Masthead tricolors

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I see dozens of vessels a week down here that I would bet the farm on, that don't have AIS. From the 40 odd foot longliners who are almost all improperly lit to the 70-90 foot ex-shrimpers carrying cargo between the islands and even larger cargo vessels that are certainly not IMO compliant, expecting them to have a modern bit of gear like AIS is foolhardy, IMO..............

How quickly we forget incidents like the Costa Concordia and believe that just because it's a big fancy, expensive vessel, it is manned by halfway intelligent human beings?
I understand and agree. However, I'm not sure what point is being made. Will these vessels be any more apt at identifying a tri-color vs deck nav lights on the recreational vessel that began this thread?

All I'm saying is a law to require AIS. for all boats operating at night, is a better law than requiring proper deck lighting. I can't account for the fact that there will always be those that don't follow the law.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome