SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cal 21 Owners
Thread: Cal 21 Owners
View Single Post
post #119 of Old 03-08-2019
Seana

Re: Cal 21 Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveradoman2 View Post
I recently acquired a cal 21. I believe her to be built in 1969 #24 is on the main sail and is also stamped on the inside of the hull on the transom. Like everyone else there is rotted wood in the cabin. I have a question about an outboard motor. Should it be a long shaft or will a short shaft work?
I have attached pics of her when I bought it. Outside picture when I brought her home.
Attachment 122342
Here is some pictures of the cabin and inside the hull

Hi Silver!
Yes, that is some rot!
Pretty much the entirety of the interior woodwork has to be ripped out, and new wood tabbed in.
I faced pretty much exactly what you have there, except that a previous owner had already ripped out all the bulkheads chainplates and all the wood in general. So it's really interesting to see your pics, you have an advantage over me in that your "templates" for the replacement wood is still in place. Use this to your advantage, take lots of pictures and paper templates of the bulkhead so you can make new ones out of marine plywood.

I wasnt aware there was a bulkhead across underneath the ccockpit sole by the end of the quarter berth.I was aware of the longitudinal piece running from the end of the keel housing . It would be useful to see the section where the keel housing is inside under the compression post I have some questions on it's original construction.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome