SailNet Community - View Single Post - Caribbean, What works and doesn't
View Single Post
post #73 of Old 03-09-2019
hpeer

Re: Caribbean, What works and doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
Update: Single handed the boat overnight from Bequia to St Lucia (80nm). It was the full Monty of weather phenomenon, calm winds to roaring winds 25 kts between St Vincent and St Lucia, rain showers, calm seas to large seas. Wind on the bow to beam reach. Water over the bow and got hit with some beam seas. Boat is cover in salt water. My dink that was strapped down on the foredeck got moved by the green water coming over. Got sandwiched between cruise ships and freighters. Actually made the cruise ship turn course so as not to hit me because I had no place to go. He was nice about it. Overall an interesting experience. Main was reefed all night and jib was out, in, out, reefed, in, out ,in.. I was busy. Current was 1.5 kts starting behind me but as night progress moved to abeam. I ended up tacking back into Rodney Bay 10 NM out. What I planned was 5.5 kts and what I got was average 7.7 kts. So I ended up laying up for a few hours outside of Rodney Bay until sunrise ( I don't go into any anchorage at night). Heave too works, calmed the boat down, made coffee and had a nice breakfast. Of course all the cruise ships (4) and freighters started to show up all at the same time. So lots of radio chatter. They obviously had a pecking order to enter the main port here. They too waited until sunrise to enter. I have a lot of pictures of this to show but I still cannot figure out how to post here. Maybe Donna will bail me out again.
On the subject of dink outboard motors. 2 strokes rule out here. Not to say there isn't any 4 strokes but from my observation only Americans and Canadians carry those. Europeans like the smaller engines under 4 and our side of the world are either 9.9 or 18-20 hp. 2 strokes weigh less which can be a factor for a lot of people, myself included. My brand new Nissan is in the shop,, won't start. But I think it is a case of bad gas. I saw a rash of motors that wouldn't start in Bequia beside mine. Mine is under warranty so that is one less boat project I have to worry about for now. FYI - I believe there is only 3 manufactures of outboards. Yamaha and Honda are solo and the rest are made by Tohatsu/Mercury . Someone correct me on this please. Also Honda motors are hard to get parts and fixed outside the USA from what I understand too. I walked over to Island World store (West Marine Caribbean)(here in Rodney Bay) where I bought it from (Grenada) and within 30 mins a guy came to take it to the shop to fix it. Pretty cool. I should have it back tomorrow. I agree with Mark about a water separator. I have one but haven't installed it yet. I need to get new fittings for the new motor.
Not to be dismissive, this is only my second season here, but that seems fairly normal conditions to me. We had a passage a few weeks ago where in a dry squall we had solid 35 knots indicated and I saw a bump to 39. We always tie our anchors down to prevent them slamming when we get a face full.

Surely not pleasant, but many of our inter-island runs are preeminently over 20 and some predominantly over 25, and I think we are kinda careful.

Also I don’t understand about getting squeezed between shipping.

While our boats are both 44’ and single masted, they are there after radically different. 20 tons vs 12, full keel vs fin with a bulb, cutter vs sloop. Perhaps therein lies our different experiences.

Also, are you single handing?

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome