View Single Post
post #74 of Old 03-10-2019 Thread Starter
Melrna
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Re: Caribbean, What works and doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Not to be dismissive, this is only my second season here, but that seems fairly normal conditions to me. We had a passage a few weeks ago where in a dry squall we had solid 35 knots indicated and I saw a bump to 39. We always tie our anchors down to prevent them slamming when we get a face full.

Surely not pleasant, but many of our inter-island runs are preeminently over 20 and some predominantly over 25, and I think we are kinda careful.

Also I donít understand about getting squeezed between shipping.

While our boats are both 44í and single masted, they are there after radically different. 20 tons vs 12, full keel vs fin with a bulb, cutter vs sloop. Perhaps therein lies our different experiences.

Also, are you single handing?
Yes you are correct in that these are normal conditions down here. That is what I trying to point out to those that don't sail down here.
The cruise ship and freighter squeeze is hard to explain without a photo. ( I have it but can never figure out how to post photos here). Basically the cruise ship was on my forward port beam heading on an intercept course, the freighter was just behind me 1/2 mile away on my starboard side. I had already turned 60 degrees to port to avoid him when the cruise ship 20 mins later became a problem. Wind was 50 degrees off my starboard. It was either lay-up or have the cruise ship turn 10 degrees to pass off my stern, which he did. That cruise ship was also a problem for the said freighter because I heard them chat also. When the other 3 cruise ship came over the horizon and 2 more freighters also showed up it became quite the show. They were mostly talking on channel 9 and 14.

Heavy displacement vs modern construction boats ride and sail differently. No question about it. Pick you poison. Having said that , you did say not pleasant either. So maybe not so different.

On this leg of the journey , yes I sailed alone. Spouse is in the US dealing with a family emergency. But than, I am the captain and owner of this ship.

Melissa Renee
Moondance
Catalina 445, Hull #90

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome