View Single Post
post #78 of Old 03-10-2019 Thread Starter
Melrna
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Re: Caribbean, What works and doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Does anyone here use pilot charts? Are they periodically updated? Have the trade winds changed in magnitude and direction over time? After reading posts which report about winds in the Caribbean on this site over the past few years my impression having been down there for 4 years back in the early 90s is that winds are not stronger and with more gusts. I write this because I used to sail full hoist virtually all the time yet some write they are usually setting one reef down there lately .
I have been told by old salts that the winds in the Windward Islands have been stronger over the last several years. The cold fronts coming off the USA don't get down here to much to lesson the trade winds. If they do only about 5 knots from what we have seen. The cold fronts do penetrate in the Leeward Islands like the BVI area. They get more relaxing wind relief than the Windward Islands.
Now for a broader discussion, I would think heavy full displacement keel boat say 40-55,000 lbs or more of the 70,80,90's vintage take a lot more wind to move than the modern production boats like mine that weigh 25,000 lbs fully loaded. Furthermore, since we are sailing the "HOUSE" vs a charter boat , we sail to keep the boat upright hence conservatively (reef sails). It is just our style, might not be yours.

The Colregs did work in my instance because I was the stand on vessel and the cruise ship did turn. Not only did he turned for me but also for the freighter. However, other parts of the regs worked against me like mass tonnage and ability to turn. But again the cruise ship did have the sea room to maneuver out of the way. Still, I am not a fan of looking at the bow wave of a BAB (Big Ass Boat) heading my way. I could turn 90 to port and lay up. That was plan B. He would have missed me by 1000 feet according to AIS. I was only 5 miles off the coast of St Lucia when all this happen near the port of Castries. Since Moondance is a magnet for cruise ships I have more encounters than I care for. I am getting actually good at talking them. In all cases they have turned to pass off my stern. They have been most kind. The two things I don't like is I/we the cruising community are fair game to entertain their passengers with. They seem to like to get real close than turn to avoid. Not for the faint heart. The second thing I hate is they get so close, I always ask for a meal to to be dropped over the side. This time I asked for a hot fudge sundae. They have never replied with any of my request.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Melissa.jpg (51.2 KB, 20 views)

Melissa Renee
Moondance
Catalina 445, Hull #90

Last edited by Donna_F; 03-11-2019 at 08:09 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome