SailNet Community - View Single Post - Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea
View Single Post
post #178 of Old 03-10-2019 Thread Starter
Captain Canuck

Re: Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea

Update 3/10/2019

Still waiting for my electrician's gloves and the prop guy to replace the cutlass bearing, check the stuffing box and put the prop back on. I can't install the motor until that's completed.

I installed the throttle arm I purchased today, on the starboard side of the helm right in front of the wheel at arm's height, where Hunter should have installed it in the first place. The old location was on the starboard side just below my knee, meaning that I had to reach THROUGH the wheel to adjust the throttle.

Since the helm is too tight a space for a conventional throttle linkage, I had to come up with a better solution. Sherlock Holmes had his 7% solution. I have my 48c solution. Instead of attaching a linkage and running the cable to the engine compartment, I'm installing the electronic throttle directly to the throttle arm with a #10 SS Bolt, nut, lock washer and regular washer. It's going to require some tool gymnastics to lock it all down, but it should work out just fine. Luckily, the Thunderstruck kit came with a long throttle and key cable set.

In the pictures, I've shows the space in the helm where the throttle has to fit, the parts for the arm and the actual throttle, and how the throttle arm sits at neutral and full reverse. It's positioned in such a way that it won't interfere with the traveler or the wheel.

Hopefully the prop guy can get all his work done so I can continue with mine. Some better weather would be really nice too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1248.JPG (1.60 MB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1250.JPG (2.09 MB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1251.JPG (2.08 MB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1252.JPG (1.92 MB, 13 views)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome