SailNet Community - View Single Post - US citizen working on foreign-flagged vessels #2
View Single Post
post #16 of Old 03-12-2019
capta
Master Mariner

Re: US citizen working on foreign-flagged vessels #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
OP if you do come back to read this, don't get angry please, I'm not even talking to you at all here. And best of luck to you in chasing your dreams, sincerely.

Yes I also am thinking that too

Getting work overseas from foreign owners may well be so vanishingly rare it probably works differently, but starting off here

with a question trying to overcome one of the hurdles by trying to prove the prospective employers are "wrong" in one of their more minor (to them) requirements,

seems like an inefficient approach.

I wonder if gaining all those requirements was done with this goal in mind from the beginning but without doing any research as to the job market, or how to go about starting on a job hunt?

Just having a unique combination of unrelated qualifications doesn't always translate into easily getting the intended position. I wonder what other types of maritime companies employ nurses, besides navies and cruise ships? School ships?

More likely to get a nursing job on US soil but in popular sailing locations, and then work out a work schedule that allowed for sailing say 3-4 months of the year, I would think that would be relatively straightforward.

I've dated a lot of nurses over the years since I was a teenager long ago, mostly non-USians living or wanting to live outside their home country, married one in fact!

There are very few locations in the world where nursing wages are better than here, and the qualification paperwork always needs a lot of effort to get "translated" to a new jurisdiction.

And to others deciding on what career dreams to pursue: if yours is an unusual combination, doing this sort of research before starting to acquire the qualifications, would be a **really** good idea.
What everybody has seemed to have forgotten is the $1200.00 or so it takes to get the STCW certification to work on ANY vessel that travels internationally. For ANY crew position, (stew, cook, engineer's helper, etc) on up on yachts (not sure about non-deck crew on ships these days).
So, long before any visa will come up that certification must be in hand. It isn't like it used to be; just jump aboard a boat and get paid for sailing. It costs some pretty serious money these days before one can even be qualified for the lowliest position.
I was one of the lucky ones; they grandfathered me in, so I didn't have to spend the cash.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome