Thread: eight kilowatts
View Single Post
post #19 of Old 03-15-2019 Thread Starter
capta
Master Mariner

Re: eight kilowatts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Cooking has been the time when I'm most likely to run the genset. I refuse to crank it up, the moment I awake. A quiet cup of coffee is life extending. When breakfast or dinner prep starts, on comes the gen, but I like to shut it off to actually eat and relax. Watch the sunset peacefully. Evening becomes the toughest to schedule. Sometimes, sundowner cocktails delay dinner prep and time runs out.
With Onan's sound shield, the genset is nearly silent, so it's nothing more than a background hum. Now that we've switched to gas cooking, it's mainly about refrigeration, battery charging, kitchen appliances to facilitate the cook's job and making and heating water.
Now the big question for us is switching from an electric coffee maker to a stovetop method. Any suggestions on which you like best? Please remember we are way south of civilization, so some suggestions won't be of much use to us.
My favorite the last time I had stovetop made coffee is pictured below, but if there is something better these days, I'm all ears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coffee maker.jpg (4.6 KB, 5 views)

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome