SailNet Community - View Single Post - Masthead tricolors
View Single Post
post #61 of Old 03-16-2019
chuck5499
Full time cruiser

Re: Masthead tricolors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2 View Post
There is an understanding among pilots, that every safety regulation the FAA has passed is underpinned by serious accidents. The Coast Guard has regulatory authority regarding boating safety. However, hopefully, they will pass a regulation mandating AIS B before any more serious accidents occur.

I guess I would ask a couple of questions. How many "serious accidents" have occurred that would have been prevented if the boats had ais?

Second - why do all boats above a certain size have to have ais when the I would submit most are not really going anywhere - day sail, race, out to anchorage for a night or two. One of our complaints of our ais and we have had it for 11 years, is that as we approach harbors the screen get so full of ais hits that it is becoming useless.

Third and I am not sure of this but the big guys who run class a may have the ability to turn off class b signals - not sure of that.

We have a lot of open ocean miles in a variety of conditions and a variety of different countries and use our ais extensively and communicated with big guys to affect a safe pass and believe in it but everyone have it I do not see a reason.

Just our thoughts and opinion
Chuck, Patty and SVSoulMates
Wintering over in Israel

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome