SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing Resume | Logbook | Web App
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 03-16-2019
SanderO

Re: Sailing Resume | Logbook | Web App

Of course Cap is correct. I would be surprised if many recreational sailors maintain an legal/offcial logbook. But I can see how it could be useful for reference.

I had a spiral bound book which I used for a season or two... then decided to set up a spread sheet for the boat which has different tabs where I record information. One tab I record maintenance issues... repairs, what has to be repaired, anything notable is entered for each day I am on board and there is something to note including location and trips, engine hrs, oil & filter changes (tells me what engine hrs I have the next oil change due. I don't record weather, sea current, wind and so on unless it is remarkable. Another tab I record all the equipment, date installed / removed / serial # etc. I have a few tabs for calculations... electric, loads, wire size, boat measurements... sails, rigging, another for inventory: what's stored where, Another for spare parts (never complete or current), watch schedules, offshore checklist, mooring parts, and a tab for each year's winter storage which includes, location and list of projects, cost, time, dates and so on. tab for important contacts, and even shopping list/stores needed to purchase. I can add a new tab as needed for anything such as record all information/data about a cruise if I like... or a tab for a new project. The idea is a spread sheet with tabs is excellent and if dutifully filled out it is has all the information about the boat and my sailing experiences I could want or need. I would be lost without this repository of information.

I can move the log from the PC on board to the one at home with a USB thumb drive and have the entire log in my pocket if I go someplace. I don't see the utility of putting this online. I have multiple copies I synchronize so I don't fear losing the log. And it has search feature which is handy for finding information. I can highlight cells with field and or text color to make things stand out. It's far from perfect... a work in progress over almost 20 years. Like the boat and me the log evolves. It works!

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 03-16-2019 at 05:39 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome