SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing Resume | Logbook | Web App
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 03-16-2019 Thread Starter
Sean Thornton

Re: Sailing Resume | Logbook | Web App

Thanks for the feedback. As a software engineer with 10 years of experience it is a common misconception about using other identity providers for secure login being less safe. In fact I am always more leary of sites that use their own authentication. While I am sure no one here has ever re-used the same password on two sites cough.. cough.. Most people do reuse password or variants of them and if the site is ever compromised you have no guarantee your information will be protected. I would suggest reading up on OAuth2 to learn more.

Anyway I didn't mean for this thread to be a discussion on login security. I think I didn't do a great job of explaining the features. It's main purpose is to create a sailing resume and recording your sailing experience. While it does have some logbook features it isn't meant to replace a ship's logbook. It is more of a logbook for that individual. For example if you don't own a boat but still want to record your sailing experience tracking down multiple ship's logbooks seems to be tedious an inefficient.

For example, I own a 1983 Catalina 25. But my sailing experience is more than just what is recorded in my logbook on the boat. I have sailed on different boats sizes, waters, etc. And I wanted a way to record that information and summarize it.

I like the idea of SanderO recording maintenance information as well. Eventually I would like to add boat information and I think it would be a great idea to expand on that. I am aware that those who have been keeping logbooks for years probably aren't looking to switch over. However I think creating a resume for Charter etc could still be beneficial. I'll try and get some screen shots posted for those who don't wish to login.

Thanks!

Last edited by Sean Thornton; 03-16-2019 at 02:08 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome