SailNet Community - View Single Post - Water based anti-fouling in the Chesapeake
View Single Post
post #70 of Old 03-17-2019
SanderO

Re: Water based anti-fouling in the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Let's face it...if I pulled my boat every year...I would use the cheap stuff too. Why use expensive paint and pay for it to be hauled every year. It would be a no brainier and not need a lot of large discussion. Most of us are weekend warriors. The real difference is between the year round in the water vs the 7 months in 5 months out

I prefer not to pull the boat and stick her in 8 jackstands on land for many reasons
1- added expense , lots of expense which I can put to use to charter someplace nice once a year
2- I hate hearing my mast humming in the wind like a tuning fork with no where for the energy to go except down 8 jackstands. At least
In the water the energy is disapated
3- the least amount of time Haleakula goes into the slings or for that matter jack stands the less chance for pressure to be put on specific
Points of her structure which really are not designed for that.
4- it's much harder for me to work on anything internal in Haleakula if I have to go up a ladder.
5- like Sisyphus repetitively painting every year is an excercise in futility.
6- the least amount of times I have to sand/ paint around those toxic chemicals the better
7- I am not at the mercy of some one telling me I must be pulled by a certain time and the fretting / being upset about being
Blocked in when I want to launch. This shortens the sailing season.

For those of us who leave our boats in the water multiple years the choice of bottom paint is much more critical. Also a certified diver to mind it a couple times a season is a good policy.

Like I said if I was a one year at a time boater, I would look for the cheapest paint. At $80 a gallon that certainly fits the bill. But let's face it you get what you pay for. Spending $120 more a gallon or $240 more ( which really is minor , and because it is on for 3 years actually is the same cost per year at $80) when we used Micron Extra or CSC they were good two year paints. The Ultima has allowed us three with two dives a year. I never worry about our bottom paint since we switched. Also many have my friends who use Ultima either 40 or 60 never consider going back.

One of our criteria for a marina was one which had fixed piers and also the fee was for year round usage. This actually cuts down on our expense of hauling.

So you can choose to roll that boulder up the hill every year, and then let it roll down, or spend your time on other pleasurable things than painting the bottom of the boat.
Lots of good point here. My experience with several spendy bottom paints from Interlux and Petit is that they don't perform as advertised. I've tried annual maintenance and bi annual with the same results. I don't think ablative work with sailboats which are not moving a lot of the time. I have not tried cheap paints.

I now use a multi year approach not multi applications of paint and pay a diver to clean the bottom multiple times each season.. and always before we head off for a multi week vacation cruise. Diver inspects zinc and can change if needed (not needed). Paint is bad for you and bad for the environment and a huge expense. Do it as little as you can. I'd rather pay Sandy to dive a 6 times than Petit for a few gallons of paint and the yard to haul, block and launch the boat. More divers less paint!!!!!!!!

I see no reason to dry winter store unless you need to work on the boat from the toe rail down. Waxing, hull painting and so on really need to be done with the boat on stands. But going up and down a ladder doing interior projects is nuts. And you can't really do engine work on the hard... where the engine is run for any length of time. In water seems to be the way to go and I see no down side. Freezing water in hoses with an open seacock could sink the boat. So you need to properly winterize. Bubblers seem OK... a little ice will not do anything to your hull. Working inside the boat is much easier and I do a bunch of projects in wet storage. You can heat the boat while you are there with portable electric heat.

Seems like there are some dumb things which boat owners and boat yard feel compelled to do when there are alternatives (less money and less danger and less waste of time).

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome