SailNet Community - View Single Post - Propane line
Thread: Propane line
View Single Post
post #31 of Old 03-17-2019
Minnewaska

Re: Propane line

Some have said, the ABYC standards are often written in such a technical way that the average DIY user wouldn't be able to follow them. I don't know that to be the case, but understand if it was. Still, as a non-profit safety standards organization, one would think they would publish a user friendly basic guide or have a searchable online database. They also have a fund raising foundation. I'd be surprised if funding couldn't be raised for such an endeavor.

It costs $485 to buy the book of standards. While that could be considered a cost of doing business for a professional, who is distinguishing themselves from lesser informed competitors, it's clearly a barrier for the average boat owner. I read the ABYC mission on their website and it's pretty clear. They are to "be the essential source of technical information for the international marine industry" and exist to "equip our members to be successful". They are really a professional technician and manufacturer focused organization, solely focused on their membership, not a public boating safety organization. That's really too bad, as they are missing a higher calling and have the ability to do more good for the boating community.

In theory, this information is indirectly available via a number of quality maintenance texts that sell for $30-$50.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome