SailNet Community - View Single Post - Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea
View Single Post
post #179 of Old 03-18-2019 Thread Starter
Captain Canuck

Re: Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea

Update, 3/18/2019

The prop, cutlass bearing and stuffing box are all done.

My electrician's gloves arrived. They're straight up Dr. Horrible style. (google that if you haven't seen it - it's hilarious).

I completely assembled and tested the system on my workbench. It works perfectly. Everything fits together well. It's a little louder than I expected, but it's nowhere near as loud as my old diesel was.

This weekend I started the physical install. The transmission is proving to be tricky, as the default bracket holes available don't line up well with the prop shaft. I spent a couple of hours figuring out exactly how much I'll have to shim the brackets to make a good alignment. Luckily, the old coupler came off easily with the application of a gear puller.

I should be on target to get the system installed by the end of March. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. At least now there's enough light (if not heat) available that I can do some work after work. My marina is less than 5 minutes off of my commute home.

The picture shows my admittedly sloppy setup for testing. It will be much neater when installed. Not shown is the battery box, which is sitting in the floor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1254.JPG (1.58 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1257.JPG (2.20 MB, 18 views)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome