SailNet Community - View Single Post - Suggestions Please for Great Lakes Bucket List Cruise
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 03-19-2019 Thread Starter
PeterVV

Suggestions Please for Great Lakes Bucket List Cruise

Hey everyone. Sure is quiet around here. Pretty sure most of you aren't out sailing today. Brrr.

I'm going to step up and start the dream machine to help keep people's minds off of the freezing rain.

Assume for a moment that:

* You and your spouse or best buddy have spent some time sailing in southern Lake Michigan and it was nice, but...

* You and your spouse or best buddy have spent some time sailing in western Lake Erie visiting the Bass Islands / Kelley's Island / wineries / crystal cave and it was nice, but...

* You've often said, "Someday, when I get the time, I'm going to spend the whole summer exploring Superior, Apostles, Huron, North Channel, etc. etc."

* Someday has come. By some miracle you've retired healthy, financially stable, and owning a 32' sailboat, w/4.5' draft. Assuming you were to start mid-May (+/-) in southern Lake Michigan and expected to end mid-September in the south eastern Great Lakes (more or less), possibly to bring the boat south down the ICW for the winter, but so far undecided on that), what would be your route, what places are do-not-miss?

This is not a brain teaser requiring you to visit every lake, nor is it a requirement to never cross your own wake, nor is it a requirement to never visit the same place twice. However, logic still applies ... you don't want to unstep then re-step the mast on this size boat too many times; beating to weather still sucks; summer doldrums still suck; bugs still suck.

As I wrote, you've already done western Erie and it was nice, real nice even, but perception is that there is far more to enjoy up in Superior, Green Bay, Traverse City, Mackinac, Georgian Bay, etc. Tell me if I'm wrong.

So, for example, totally bypassing Lake Erie is acceptable. Maybe pulling the mast to take the Trent-Severn from Georgian Bay to Lake Ontario is a good idea, especially since the mast would have to come down anyway to take the Erie Canal out, if the plan were to be continued down the ICW in the fall.

You prefer quiet coves, scenic vistas, clear water, swimming, good food, but don't have too much use for festivals and social gatherings. Obviously you don't need to maintain a very strict timetable, but you want to put together an overall plan to hit the best of the best, at the right time of summer. What sort of itinerary / routing would you suggest?

3-2-1 go.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome