SailNet Community - View Single Post - Suggestions Please for Great Lakes Bucket List Cruise
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 03-19-2019
Barquito
Barquito

Re: Suggestions Please for Great Lakes Bucket List Cruise

I think 4 months would be plenty of time to get up to Superior. But, maybe not leaving a ton of time to explore before heading back. I would first head to Door County. Most of the pretty harbors are on the bay side of the peninsula. Nothing much south of the Sturgeon Bay. If you actually get going by mid May, you may want to take your time to get some warmer weather before going too far north. May and September can both be a bit more frisky wind-wise. Leave Door County via Death Door Passage, and head over to the Manitou Islands, Charlevoix, and Beaver Island. Not sure if I would go to the North Channel first, or head through the locks to Superior first. If you like a slower pace, just stay in the North Channel the rest of the summer. With a good weather window you should be able to get back down to southern Lake Michigan in a 3 day passage. The winds on the lakes in the summer are more often out of the South than any other direction. However, as systems pass, you will usually have multiple days of wind from other directions.

Valiant 32
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barquito For This Useful Post:
DeepDish (04-02-2019), PeterVV (03-20-2019)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome