SailNet Community - View Single Post - Keel Crab hull cleaning drone
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 03-22-2019 Thread Starter
Minnewaska

Keel Crab hull cleaning drone

Has anyone heard any reports? It seems it was just launched recently, but I can't find it for sale. I checked a few of their dealer's websites, but they seemed like service companies that might be using it, rather than selling it. It looks like a swimming pool cleaning drone, with a remote display screen. Only good for slime, not hard growth.

http://www.keelcrab.com/en/

I can't help but note that their videos never show the hull, after the drone cleaned it. Hmm.

I found some dated online discussion that it cost in the $2500 range, but that may have been kickstarter pricing. The concept has been tried and failed before, but I recall costs being over 10 grand. While $2500 is not very economical, it probably pays off, if a couple of boaters split one. Hull cleaning for us is about $300 a pop.

Intuitively, it can't possibly do as good a job as a diver. It can't do the prop at all, I'm sure. However, in some areas, divers are hard to schedule. They are not permitted in our marina. We used to have a guy that would meet us at anchor, in the Bay, but he stopped scheduling weekends. It's been a pain ever since. I've even resorted to a short haul ($540). Ouch.

It's probably too good to be true. However, the idea that I can play at anchor somewhere, while the crew is ashore, is intriguing. If it worked, I would clean the hull more frequently, for sure. Diving to hand scrape the prop, or change a zinc, is the easy part.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome