SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat purchase concerns
View Single Post
post #12 of Old 03-22-2019
contrarian

Re: Boat purchase concerns

Chain plates was a weak area on the 34. Catalina has a retrofit available. Most likely will have some high moisture readings on the deck around the chain plates. As was previously posted the Cat. 34 is not what you would call a racing boat per say and likely not really pushed that hard so to speak. The real key to racing is not making mistakes. Most of the beer can racing boats are trying to obtain the most the boat will deliver for the given conditions without screwing up and that rarely equates to "pushing her hard". Yes occasionally you will see boats rounding up in the puffs but these aren't the ones that win races. Someone mentioned checking the skippers record to see what their standing was, I really don't think that is any kind of measure of how hard the boat was pushed or how well it was cared for. I like the Catalina 34 as a coastal cruising boat and would have purchased one had I been able to find one that didn't have the chain plate issue. It's a good sailing boat with not a lot of quarks but it certainly wouldn't be my first choice as a racer.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome