Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Deale, MD
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 6
Re: Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea
The motor, controller, transmission, throttle, wiring, contractor, and coupler are all completed. All the cables are tied down.
I ran into quite a few roadblocks this weekend, but I was able to overcome them all. I had to build a platform for the controller to sit on, embiggen some holes so I could run the cables up to the helm, make said cables 10' longer by splicing in more cable, and install the motor.
But the worst, by far, was fitting the throttle into the helm. It's not a lot bigger than the space it fits in, and I had to find swing room for the actuator couplers. Then there was tightening everything up so it operated correctly. The nut for the arm was backwards, so I had to really finagle it to get the hex wrench on it. (see pictures) I had to build a little platform for it to sit on out of marine grade ply, then put the actuator on the arm, then put the bracket on the platform, then slide the platform under the actuator and finally screw that into place. But at least the throttle lever is exactly where it should be.
Coming up, I'm rebuilding the helm, taking one of the raymarine units out (redundant with the forward ones) and putting the key and a displayport in it's place.
Then, finally, I'll tackle battery placement. I took a good look at that this weekend, and I don't think there's any way to make the batteries fit where I initially wanted them to go, at least not in the battery box. I could fit them in without it, but I want the extra layer of protection. So it looks like I'll have to yank the diesel tank and put the battery box there, instead
I think if I was a foot shorter or much more flexible things would have gone a lot more smoothly. :P