SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat purchase concerns
View Single Post
post #20 of Old 03-27-2019
SchockT

Re: Boat purchase concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfrau View Post
We looked at the 92 Catalina 34 MK1.5 that was the focus of this thread. We also looked at a Catalina 36 MK 1.5 (which was already sold but we wanted to be able to compare it to the 34), an 85 Endeavour 38, a 2008 Catalina 350, and a Beneteau 331 (have no idea on the year...the salesman just suggested we take a quick look on the way out of the boatyard).

The Catalina 34 MK 1.5 is well maintained, in great shape for the age, and priced nicely. If the boat were for only my husband and myself, we would probably be having further discussions with the owner and looking for a surveyor. But, we are looking for a boat that our 2 adult sons (who also enjoy sailing) can enjoy as work allows them on weekends (since we are retired the plan is that we will use it during the week and they use it during the weekends...eventually [hopefully many years from now] our sons will do most of the sailing as we age Anyways, both sons are almost 6'3" and felt very uncomfortable on the Catalina 34 because of the lower headroom (granted most of their time will hopefully be topside).

They did have headroom in the Catalina 36 but as I mentioned, that one was already sold. There are several MKIIs available on the Great Lakes so we will check into those. The Endeavour had a lot of room but we are looking for something a bit more modern. The Catalina 350 certainly had the headroom and met the "modern" aspect, but we were disappointed by the condition and my husband doesn't like it's "numbers" as well on sailboatdata.com.

So, as mentioned, we will look into the Catalina 36 MK II and an acquaintance has suggested that we should also consider looking at the Catalina 387. Does anyone have feedback on those two models (I know that is probably a dangerous question)?

Thanks for all the input!
What are the "numbers" your husband is looking at? Sail area/displacement?

If he is looking at performance numbers, none of those Catalinas are very quick. PHRF 150 is pretty slow for a 36ft boat.

Perhaps you should be looking at some "sportier" options from C&C, Jeanneau, Beneteau or Jboats.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome