SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do not pick up illegal migrants in the Med!
View Single Post
post #38 of Old 03-29-2019
MikeOReilly
Old soul

Re: Do not pick up illegal migrants in the Med!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I don't think any of us can plan how we would react.

Each situation I have been it at sea is utterly unique.

We must all rely on our moral compass and the situation as we see it.

I have no doubt that all of us would do our best. None of us are types that would leave people to die... But I also think none of us are so naive enough to realise we could put ourselves in a serious situation.

My best advice to *me* is that I will do the right thing at the right time.
Well said Mark. Ditto.

But as a starting point, my advice is not to operate out of fear. Since we are being specific, the article DOES NOT support the supposition that these people are a menace. It says this is the first event in all the years it has been going on.

As I clearly stated, a seaman’s obligation is to render assistance with out unduly risking their own crew or vessel. In this case, a small sailboat can provide limited assistance to a raft of 120 people. Water, perhaps refuge for the most vulnerable. Who knows. I do know it would be hard for me to simply sail past and attempt to do nothing, but desperate people can be dangerous people. I would not overtly risk my crew or my vessel.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 03-29-2019 at 02:08 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome