SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do not pick up illegal migrants in the Med!
View Single Post
post #41 of Old 03-29-2019
Minnewaska

Re: Do not pick up illegal migrants in the Med!

It's abundantly clear that each Captain will make their own choice, in each given situation. No blathering here is going to change another's mind, nor should it.

It's fair information to consider that one's rescue effort could be overwhelmed in a variety of ways, by the victims. Proceed as you see fit. I'll do the same.

I'm sure I'd respond differently to a bunch of airline passengers standing on the wing of a ditched airplane than I would to a 25ft skiff in known piracy waters, with a half dozen young men waving me over. All scenarios in between will depend on my judgement. As will yours. Period.

Unfortunately, the article on this particular event is remarkably lacking details to be able to consider what I might have done. Were they armed, did they just overwhelm the crew by number, etc.

A refugee is neither legal nor illegal, it's just a definition of circumstance. It doesn't entitle anyone to anything either. It is clearly illegal to enter virtually all civilized countries, without permission. For the less civilized countries, they're more likely to just kill you as a potential threat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome