SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ripped off ? or a fair profit ?
View Single Post
post #14 of Old 03-31-2019
colemj

Re: Ripped off ? or a fair profit ?

This has little to do with local retail stores, or even internet retail. The price difference is between the "marine brand" and the "non-marine brand" for the exact same gear. I showed an example of this for blowers, and boatpoker implied the same for bilge pumps (of which I also have direct experience with the differences).

I'm sure retail stores pay more for something like a Rule brand than they would for the same non-branded part. The major difference is the manufacturer supplying the part and setting the prices, not the stores themselves.

The manufacturers even set prices in different markets. I often buy water pumps and other gear at RV stores for lower prices. These are the exact same brands and models, except the manufacturer sets different prices based on market segments. I've also bought stuff sold to professional markets that were much lower in price still.

I've a sneaky suspicion that these manufacturers lock in retailers with draconian terms.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome