SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newer SunCat vs older Hereschoff America
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 04-01-2019
jblumhorst
Sailnet Vendor

Dock
Re: Newer SunCat vs older Hereschoff America

I’d want a boat that came with a trailer, that can be rigged and ready to go in and hour or two,at most. I love being able to tow my boat to far off sailing destinations for a vacation but I don’t want to get exhausted rasing the mast. I get bored sailing the same old places year in and years

With regard to costs: id like to remind you that A boat that is kept on a trailer costs much less to maintain over a couple of years than a boat that is kept in the water.

The Sun Cats are exceptionally user friendly. About as easy to rig an launch as it gets. Fun to day sail. Fast enough to take on vacation. Very well behaved.

I’ve sailed the Potter 19, Sannibel 17, and Precision 18. The cockpits are a bit crowded for four adults in heavy weather. They can all be rigged and launched in a reasonable amount of time and towed with a 3500# capacity tow vehicle

Have you looked at an old Marshall Sanderling 18 footer yet? They are lovely boats to sail, and easily fit four in the cockpit for day sailing. they can cover more distance in a day than the Suncat can. The boat can handle high winds with aplomb, compared to the other boats you’ve mentioned

I’ve never sailed or even seen the America in person.

I’m not a catboat connoisseur so this is just my non expert opinion.

Judy

Judy B
San Francisco Bay and Delta
F24 Trimaran

Last edited by jblumhorst; 04-01-2019 at 10:10 PM. Reason: I meant SunCAT, not Sunday Cat

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome