SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newer SunCat vs older Hereschoff America
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 04-01-2019
Arcb

Re: Newer SunCat vs older Hereschoff America

I agree with Judys sentiments entirely. I went from keel boat sailing the same old stretch of water at a cost of about $6000 in moorage and storage fees a year to trailer sailing all over the place for about $250 a year in trailer maintenance. It cant be over stated how much cheaper trailer sailing is than renting a slip for a keel boat. Plus, I work full time, so I cant get too far on my 3 weeks vacation at 5 knots sailing but the ability to travel down the highway at 55 knots opens up pretty much all of eastern North America to me.

But, you need the right boat to make it happen and I am not sure a 2500 pound cat boat is something I would care to launch and rig on my own every time I went sailing. There are several small sloops that I would consider, they are probably not as easy as some of the small cat boats but are still quite do able.

Here is me raising the mast on my small cat boat alone. I was sailing down wind, got to a low bridge, lowered the mast, steered the boat under the bridge, then let go of the tiller and put my mast back up to continue sailing on the other side.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome