SailNet Community - View Single Post - Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea
View Single Post
post #186 of Old 04-01-2019 Thread Starter
Captain Canuck
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Deale, MD
Posts: 372
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Electric Conversion log for Kahleesea

Update 4/1/2019

I adjusted the prop distance from the cutlass bearing to the recommended 3/8".

I've removed some of the bulkhead panels to see if I can remove the diesel tank with a minimum of fuss. The builders glassed over some of the screws. Thanks for that, Hunter.

I had a very interesting conversation with an ABYC master tech about lithium battery safety. Looks like I'll have to change my plans and construct a waterproof battery box with a sealed and coiled vent. That's going to be an interesting build, seeing as I know nothing about how to work with fiberglass. To be clear, this isn't a requirement for sailboats (they generally don't flip over like fat bottomed power boats do), but it's not a bad idea.

It finally warmed up enough to start removing all the barnacle damage on the hull. I rented the marina's sander and vacuum. Big mistake. They gave me a heavy industrial unit without grips. My arms were rubber when I was about half done, and I had help. I've since bought my own sander that's both more powerful and lighter, and has three different grips. I'll get back at it as soon as the weather warms back up. The actual painting won't take long.

Funny thing, looks like the boat has never been fully sanded down. I found at least 3 different colors of paint, including a brown layer that might have been copper. As in my work life, legacy is a *****.
Captain Canuck is offline  
 
 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome