SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dismasted/1964 Challenger
View Single Post
post #17 of Old 04-02-2019
Jeff_H
Administrator

Re: Dismasted/1964 Challenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffboat View Post
Put deposit down on Forte carbon mast (approx $5K total w/shipping from CT to CA). Have yet to settle all details as I await a schematic design and will then make some decisions on locations of exit boxes, cleats, etc...now I will have (3) (instead of 2, not wire-to-rope) halyards, all internal. Forestay will be slightly fractional, down some inches from the top.

While chain plates are not under tension I am going to extract and inspect. The ears above the deck bent over when the mast took off for port-side, dragging the shrouds along for the ride (they stayed connected as did the back stay). Anybody know of new old stock chain plate replacements? Or those that might fit from another boat? Or am I destined to have new ones fabricated? Possibly un-bend the originals? Obviously I will know more when they are out.

Spending the retirement money,

Huff
Many boats builders, like Columbia who built the Challenger 24 (I am ssuming that your boat is the Columbia Challenger 24), used the stock chainplates of that era which mostly were made by Merriman. That said, there were also other sources out there. Obviously Merriman is out of business, but the chainplates of the era typically were very simple in design so it would be pretty cheap to have a shop replicate the old ones.

A word of caution about carbon fiber spars, they tend to be stiffer than similar profile aluminum spars, and so can increase the loads on the boat.

Good luck with your project.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome