SailNet Community - View Single Post - How do you find one?
View Single Post
post #24 of Old 04-05-2019
capta
Master Mariner

Re: How do you find one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaddy View Post
I guess the grass is always greener. I see plenty of ads for sailboats 25 ft and up, even in my small-lake state. I think part of the problem is that boat production has really dropped off in the last 10 years, and used boats aren't as plentiful or affordable as they used to be.
Again, way outside my field, but I would suggest that the places one searches for sub-25-footers are quite different from where the bigger, more expensive boats advertise. Probably not too many 19-footers on Yachtworld.
I think its all about learning the ropes, understanding that having someone you trust (a surveyor) take a quick look at the boat if it's far from you, etc.
I don't fly from the Caribbean every time I want to look at a used sail; I hire a sailmaker in the area to do that and it has saved me thousands so far and only cost hundreds.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome