SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replacing transmission oil cooler
View Single Post
post #11 of Old 04-07-2019
Minnewaska

Re: Replacing transmission oil cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I recently replaced my gear fluid cooler as it had sprung a leak. I spent quite a few hours building a new mounting location for it as it partially blocked other
items that needed more regular maintenance.

Proud of my work I sat back and it dawned on me..... my HT6-354 Perkins didn't have one and I put 20,000 hours on that boat. My TAMD60B didn't have one and I put 6,000 hours on that boat. Now those are big heavy duty diesels. If their tranny's didn't need cooling why should this puny little 55hp Westerbeke ?

PS. The Perkins had the exact same transmission as my little Westerbeke. I am going to seriously look into removing this cooler altogether. I don't think it was OE.
As I understand it, sailboat transmissions are often undersized, for the loads, as they are expected to run intermittently. Our weight and horsepower are at the absolute top of the range, for our hurth gear model, for intermittent recreational use. For constant industrial use, the maximum HP drops in half and our gear would be grossly undersized. I suspect the gear is actually working harder and heating more than itís larger stinkpot breatheren, ie the need for the cooler.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome