SailNet Community - View Single Post - CS Merlin 36 Inspection
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 04-07-2019 Thread Starter
scubadoo
Freedom Chip Counter

CS Merlin 36 Inspection

Doing a little investigating on a great looking CS Merlin 36!

My wife and I are considering making an offer contingent on a clean survey, but I'm wondering if it's even worth surveying or if I should keep looking.

Photo 0-1: Keel joint appears to need sealant. Curious how much it will open up when lifted. The keel is not encapsulated, it appears to exposed iron.

Photo 2-3: Liner appears to be dropping away from the bulkhead. The port side of the veneer is crushed while there is a 1" gap growing to starboard.

Photo 4-6: Hoping someone can help me understand the pan/hull construction that is shown in the attached photos. The cracking at the base looks superficial, but are we looking at just the liner or are we seeing the pan to hull connection?

To me, it looks like the keel struck something given the dent in the starboard side of the wing (leading edge). The bottom of the hull adjacent to the keel (starboard side) appears to be sitting lower than the port side. Barely noticeable in the photo, but slightly more pronounced when viewed in person.

I suspect the surveyor will point all of these out in detail, but without knowing what actually happened, it may be tough to assess the actual amount of damage without cutting away lots of material.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sm-4.jpg (446.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg sm-3.jpg (282.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg sm-2.jpg (437.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg sm-1.jpg (424.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg sm-0.jpg (704.6 KB, 15 views)

Tartan 31

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome