SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake
View Single Post
post #122 of Old 04-07-2019
TakeFive

Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aswayze View Post
Spent today spinning around down the Potomac looking at a few places.

Found Machodoc Creek Marina which looked like the ideal spot for me. About 2 hours 20 min commute for me, fairly quiet area. Yard looks good, sailing looks decent, I think we have a winner!

I was concerned that I would end up having to trailer through a lot of traffic or down quaint cute little streets white knuckled and stressed out so I was pretty happy to find this spot.

Near term, got to go fetch up the boat.

Mid term, I need to do my keel work since having a travel lift to set the boat up on blocks is a huge help I do not typically have access to.

Longer term, I do want to actually get to sail on the boat and enjoy it.
Great choice! I'm glad that you can get down to Dahlgren in a reasonable time. The river does open up nicely down there. My only warning is to check out the weekend traffic over the toll bridge. It backs up sometimes, but I'm not sure exactly when, which direction, or how far. Based on my experience visiting my father outside Fredricksburg, it's worst heading eastbound on Sunday evenings, which is probably the opposite direction you'll be going at that time.

I had never heard of that creek so I had to look it up, and lo and behold, that's where I first learned to sail. My girlfriend's father was a navy officer who had a huge farm house on the Navy base. There was a fleet of sailboats for the Navy people to use at any time, and he took me out on one of them a few times to teach me to sail. I never learned the name of the creek, or the model of boat.

Interesting story: That girlfriend and I broke up, but have stayed lifelong friends (she lives in NY State, near Lake Wallenpaupack where we often vacationed). Her parents retired to Oak Harbor, WA, and 30 years later we visited him, since my son is in Seattle. I came to learn that in Washington he has a fishing boat almost identical to mine (he has Trophy 17, I had Trophy 15 which I just sold a couple days ago). He also had an almost identical sailboat (he had a Catalina 270, I had a Catalina 250). Quite a coincidence! He kept one-upping me by 2', so I went out and got a Catalina 34. lol

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 04-07-2019 at 05:20 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome