SailNet Community - View Single Post - Whats the point of boat brokers?
View Single Post
post #13 of Old 04-08-2019
MikeOReilly
Old soul

Re: Whats the point of boat brokers?

My experience and view is that brokers are generally unhelpful to the potential buyer at the lower end of the market (~ $50k or less). Since a broker gets paid usually no more than 10% commission, a low-end boat simply doesn’t generate much revenue. Most brokers are businesses, so they simply can’t afford to spend much time on a low-end boat.

The end result is a broker with limited knowledge about the boats they are selling, and limited time or interest in trying to get the information a potential buyers needs. My experience as a buyer at this end of the market is that mostly* brokers just got in the way, without providing any benefit to the sale. They got in between me, the potential buyer, and the seller who holds all the information I really need. But most were unwilling to do much to get me the answers I needed.

(*I say mostly b/c I also experienced the exception to this rule. But they were the exception.)

From the seller’s standpoint, they obviously value the services of a broker. Selling, especially at the lower end, requires dealing with a lot of tire kickers, so I can see the benefit of having someone else manage this. And going through a broker is also the only way to get a boat listed on Yachtworld. But I think most sellers are poorly serviced by brokers at this level, for the reasons I already wrote.

Personally, I wish brokers would either not represent these boats unless they can fully commit to providing complete service to the sale — which as I say, most won’t be able to do.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeOReilly For This Useful Post:
desmond275 (04-08-2019)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome