SailNet Community - View Single Post - CS Merlin 36 Inspection
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 04-09-2019
sailordave

Re: CS Merlin 36 Inspection

A couple of comments. Yes, it is not uncommon to have a crack in the settee caused by filling the water tanks too fast. I've got that crack on my Merlin. Even found a pic online describing how that happens and it appeared to be a pic of a Merlin.

Keel is indeed lead.

As far as the apparent separation of the veneered bulkhead, I have seen this before and it does not necessarily mean something structural was compromised. In *some* cases it was just manufactured that way and corners were cut. I've seen the same on other Merlins and it looked exactly the same. Also saw something similar on a couple of C&C's.

The crack in the front of the keel DOES concern me. Cracking around the pan, less so.

BTW, I've raced my Merlin twice to/from Bermuda single/double handed. While there are reasons I don't know if I'll do that again (because racing is just hard on equipment), I never was concerned about the integrity of the hull. Even got caught in the remnants of TS Bill in 2015; saw 45+ knots, breaking 15' waves and surfed into the double digits in speed. Put out lines and a drogue to slow/stop the boat and didn't worry.

CS 36M DIANTHUS

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome