SailNet Community - View Single Post - Whats the point of boat brokers?
View Single Post
post #19 of Old 04-09-2019
chuck5499
Full time cruiser

Re: Whats the point of boat brokers?

We used a broker when I got this boat. He was great in helping us understand this boat vs others in terms of quality and what made that boat better than this and this better than another. He put us in the right boat for us and our money. We looked at a sister ship to this boat and the all the work records were there somewhat but who did the work was the difference. He went cheap on labor and experience and they made a mess of the boat in wiring and fixes.

One thing I noticed about dealing with owners is they will not tell you all the truth. If there is a real problem do you really think they are going to tell you? Go over the records as much as you like but still the quality or work and the parts used.

OH and not all brokers are created equal. After I bought this boat I was at a boat show and had my son with me and we went aboard a similar boat and there was a broker on board and I asked if I could pull cushions and floor ect - he said sure - so I explained to my son how this boat was put together vs mine. as we left the broker asked if I could stay as he learned more in that few minutes than he knew about the boat.
My broker was an excruiser and spent a lot of time talking with us about what we wanted to do with the boat and we really did not know so he put us in a boat that could take us around the world, around a race course,around a bay or what ever and if we did not like the life could sell easily. we got lucky.

Just our thoughts and opinion
Chuck, Patty and SVSoulMates
Wintering over in Israel
The Following User Says Thank You to chuck5499 For This Useful Post:
desmond275 (04-09-2019)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome