SailNet Community - View Single Post - Whats the point of boat brokers?
View Single Post
post #20 of Old 04-09-2019
sesmith

Re: Whats the point of boat brokers?

My experience last year locally. We contacted a "buyer's broker" to represent us when we decided to look at a boat we were interested in up on one of the Great Lakes. I interviewed 2 different brokers over the phone, and went with the one my gut told me would be the better of the 2.

What we found:
The broker (ours) was more interested in "selling" us the boat and glossing over it's deficiencies than looking out our for our best interests.
Our broker seemed to be working the owner of the boat to get his business when the contract ran out as the owner expressed his misgivings that he chose another broker over our guy.
Our broker tried his best to get us interested in a couple of boats they had listed, neither of which was what we were looking for.

Needless to say, I just decided to be my own advocate on any other boats we decided to look at. We found just what we were after about a month later. I decided to just use the selling broker for the sale. He made sure he explained his duties as a dual broker to us. He did a great job representing the boat. After we bought it, he was a phone call away for any issues. He also got the boat over to the new marina for me from the yacht club it was at (same town), arranged to have the cradle brought over, and even got the boat over to the lift for me when it had to be pulled out for winter. Note that we're 3 hours away from the marina and were busy with work at the time. So great service after the sale. We bought it late enough in the season, all I had time to do was winterize it.

So, concerning brokers...depends on who you happen to find.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome