View Single Post
post #79 of Old 04-12-2019
capta
Master Mariner

Re: Non Racing Sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
The truth hurts.

I was a commercial seaman for 20 years. Ships navigator. Yes, I well know racers expectation is for every one else to do the courteous thing and go around their race. Even if it forces 700 foot ships into the rocks.

The courteous thing to do would not set up race courses in busy harbours, channels, ferry routes and commercial shipping lanes. But no, its every one else who is supposed to be courteous.

I don't know how many times I have had to alter ships courses in designated channels while some red faced beered up racer screams "can't you see I am racing here.".
Operating an 80-foot three-masted schooner in Charleston Harbor, 3 times a day 7 days a week in the season, we occasionally ran afoul of a 'cowboy' racer who loved to use the schooner like a fence to a horse wishing to rid itself of its rider.
One call to the harbor authority, who would call the appropriate club or race organizer and threaten to ban all racing in the harbor (force them to race offshore) would end the idiocy for a while.
Really, I didn't care if they wanted to bash their little plastic toys into my big heavy steel schooner, but I thought that the resulting USCG investigation would be rather bothersome and I preferred to avoid it.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome