SailNet Community - View Single Post - Realistic expectations for my house batteries
View Single Post
post #66 of Old 04-14-2019
mbianka

Re: Realistic expectations for my house batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
We've got 6-6volt Lifeline AGM for720 ah. Daily diet in mid summer with refrigeration running is 65 ah. That includes many LED , radar and chartplotter and charging of phones etc. Caframo fans (3) and refrigeration use most of power. Don't forget the pumps etc. 360 usable ah. We never worry about electricity. Alternator is a 100 amp Balmar with ACR regulator .
AGM charge more quickly...but more expensive. Wilth proper equilization they have lasted 9-10 years and 500 cycles. That more thann covers their added exp see need of AGM.

The new lithium are super expensive and worth it if your sailing is mainly cruising or you switch from a desiel engine to electric. For most of us this type of battery is not cost effective.
I switched from diesel to electric auxiliary propulsion in 2008 and am still not seeing the need and expense to go to Lithium. My house bank is two group 27 Gel Cells that are still going strong after 11 years. I used Gel Cells because that was one of the two choices my Pro Mariner battery charger offered for charge profiles. The other was for Flooded Lead Acid. I think the main reason why my house batteries have lasted so long is because they have never been charged by anything but the Pro Mariner charger and a solar controller. Never from and engine driven alternator.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome