SailNet Community - View Single Post - Realistic expectations for my house batteries
View Single Post
post #69 of Old 04-14-2019
colemj

Re: Realistic expectations for my house batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Here's something I never understood: I understand that Lithium batteries make sense for cars etc because of the weight and energy density.

But for sailboats? We CRAVE weight, the keel of my boat is a blob of lead that is literally heavier than the rest of the boat.

Why don't we build a keel out of the cheapest, heaviest lead acid batteries and all go electric? Yes we need to make sure it does not flood but we are pretty good at making things waterproof (like boat hulls).

Maybe this is a topic for a separate thread?
Um, some of us don't crave weight - just the opposite. Others who can handle weight don't want it in the places batteries are usually stored. In fact, you might be the only person I've heard of that craves more weight on their boat.

Lithium has advantages other than light weight. The real game-changer for them is the ability to operate their entire lives in a partial state of charge - no need to ever charge them fully just to keep them from destroying themselves. In other words, if you have enough juice in them to make it through the day, you don't need to charge - and this goes on ad infinitum. Then you have the ability to charge them as fast as you can throw current at them - this significantly cuts down on charging time. Replacing 100Ah with a 100Ah charger takes 1hr - where it will take 6-8hrs with a lead battery.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome